dimanche 14 avril 2013

Bioshock Infinite Review (Spoilers shall drown you in flame)


Finally! After more than 6 years of waiting (if you forget Bioshock 2, since Ken Levine's team wasn't on it, even though it's still a good game), Bioshock Infinite has finally been released, yeah!! I've first played Bioshock when it was released, back in 2007, and I've been a huge fan of the game and the universe ever since. I rarely ever do countdown for video games, but BI was the exception. It's good I don't have a job at the moment because I got to play as much as I wanted.





I finished it two weeks ago to be honest, but I've been into a Minecraft mode since then, and... yeah. But now, let's discuss about the ending. I know I'm supposed to make that point the last one, but hell, it's my blog, and I do what I want.

Now, I know I don't have all the details about everything, because I didn't check everything while playing. I tried to explore every places, but sometimes it was really hard, so sorry if I'm forgetting some information or if I just don't know all the details. I did get the whole concept though, and I loved it, and I think that's what important.




So. The ending. What an epic ending. I have to admit I felt like information was rushed at me and it was a bit hard to assimilate everything, but I wanted to know everything at once too. It's such a big concept, and this is where you understand why they name this game Infinite. When you see all of the different Elizabeth, every path she could take based on one single action, it's amazing. Also, the fact that Booker is also Comstock, I mean, he drowned himself.

Wooh, okay. Maybe I should begin by the beginning. Everything happens because of Robert and Rosalind Lutece, creators of the Columbia mechanism to float above ground, and they would have mysteriously disappear after an experience (?) or something like that. Both of them are the ones who brought Booker in Columbia for him to repent himself by saving Elizabeth, or his daughter as we get to learn. It also seems like it wasn't the first time they did so, by the board Robert has on him when they make Booker choose heads or tails. That's what I especially love about these games, you can't learn everything only with one playthrough, you must complete it a few times to be able to grasp the whole explanations, the many indications you couldn't understand the first time. What confused me first was, if Booker and Comstock were the same person, how could be both there in one dimension? It's because, as I said before, Booker wasn't coming from this universe, but from another one in which he stayed in his house? office? to brood about his lost daughter whom he had to give to his own alternate self. Damn, I wish I could make a game as complex as this one.

Elizabeth has been experienced on, and has gained (and/or developed)  the power to open doors, or tears, through other dimensions and time (The Star Wars reference is brilliant). Comstock has built a machine though to reduce her abilities, the Siphon, and Songbird destroying that machine allows her to fully understand the extend of her powers and the infinite universes she's part of. We're not even talking about the Bioshock Infinite universe here, but of its multiverses. Pretty fucked up when you're being dragged by Elizabeth from a lighthouse to another after doing a quick stop in Rapture. If you want to have a better explanation about the ending, you should watch this video, it's really interesting and helpful.

Talking about Rapture, many fan theories have surfaced on the Internet. One is we could possibly hear Songbird's death in the first opus, a high-pitched scream while we have to kill people and take pictures of them for Sander Cohen. Another one would be that Booker could be Andrew Ryan, and so on. It's always interesting to be able to create so many connections and possibilities in such a huge serie as Bioshock. I personally find that amazing, it's what keep the game alive.

Two things took major places in the game, and these things are religion, Christianism I believe, with baptism being a transition point in Booker's life but also with Columbia being very religious, and USA's History. Booker is a veteran, he was at the battle of Wounded Knee, and he meets a brother in arms in the Hall of Heroes. Columbia is also really patriotic with the motorized patriots being everywhere and the american flags. We also have the occasion to kill what seem to be KKK members, even though their uniform wasn't white. It looked pretty much the same, and we can witness racism throughout the game. I'm not really good in USA's History, but I took a class about it once, and I know the game was really good in reflecting the values and public's opinions of that time. The fashion was also very accurate, with the ugly hats and bathing suits and hairstyles. I really liked Liz's outfits though. Anyway, Booker seems to be as religious as I am, and we were both asking ourselves what the fuck was going on when we entered Columbia.

The music really helps to dig in the game as well. G. Schyman worked on this opus, as he also worked on the two previous games. He kept the same concept of heavily dramatic music, with lots of violins and chorus and crescendos that give you goosebumps. All the versions of "The Battle for Columbia" are pretty wicked and put you on alert in an instant, I love them. "The Girl in The Tower" is eerie and so beautiful, it totally fits Liz, since we don't really know what she is at the beginning, you only hear of her as the "Lamb" of Columbia and that she's the one who shall drown the men in flame. Well, she fulfilled that prophecy already anyway, in one universe. Comstock could already have seen it all, being Booker in his "previous" life, so that's why all of his predictions were so accurate.

Some original songs were also pretty funny, I mean, Cindy Lauper's "Girls just wanna have fun" playing while Booker and Liz take a walk on the beach? It seemed appropriate to me, at least, with Liz running everywhere to see as much as possible. What an awesome ally she is throughout the game, I can say without hesitation she's the best companion ever. Usually companions are there to help you fight enemies, but seriously, they're only in the way and I always ended killing them by accident. Who didn't rage at least once again Lydia in Skyrim for being in your fucking way, so you decided to kill her, but that bitch came back from the dead to haunt you at your marriage! Now with Elizabeth, she doesn't fight, but she looks around for coins, ammo or health, and that's a lot more useful. I can say she saved my life a couple of times, and you realize how much you rely on her when she's not there - because she ran away or was kidnapped, hah! The relationship between her and Booker is a bit awkward at first, but they grow very close to each other, so close that at some point I thought they were going to hook up. Fortunately, they didn't, because Liz is Booker's daughter, bang! She also lost her pinky because a tear closed on it when she was a baby being kidnapped by her own father? Oh. Okay. That makes sense.

I feel like there's a lot I didn't talk about in this review, but I think I'm going to stop here, because I don't want my review to be as long as the game, it'd be INFINITE. Hahaha, I'm so funny. Long story short, I loved the game, the epicness of the ending but also the complexity of the whole story. Popular games nowadays don't have this much depth, and it's sad, but I'm hoping games like BI and Telltales' The Walking Dead will give a slap to the video game industry's butt.

 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire