dimanche 17 février 2013

DMC : Devil May Cry Review (You don't fuck with spoilers)






Okay, so I'm a big Devil May Cry fan, I've played the first, second and fourth game, and I've watched a playthrough of the third on Youtube, so close enough. Not to mention the tons of fanfiction I read and the wikia. Anyway. I know a lot about the DMC universe, that's what I wanted to say.





A lot- and I mean a lot - of gamers blubbered about way too many things. First, the fact that it's a reboot, and not a new episode to the serie. People were disappointed as well with the fourth game, since the main protagonist was Nero, but you get to play with Dante as well, and he's as awesome as always, and I personally loved Nero with the Devil Bringer. A reboot is a chance to bring a new light on the already known universe, and they took the opportunity to explain Dante's childhood. I liked the transformation he has in the game, going from punk who fucks around only with the goal to survive, to a -still- womanizer demon hunter who cares for mankind's well-being. Some of his remarks are as cocky and awesome as before. How did Vergil discover he had a bigger dick than Dante anyway, now that's a good question. Maybe he spied on him a bit too closely.

Second complaint was about his looks. In the debut trailer which was released in 2010, he looked nothing like the old Dante, his voice was different, he looked a bit emo, I remember myself thinking ''What the fuck did they do?!'' but fortunately they changed a lot of things for the final design.

DMC4 vs Reboot
His facial structure does look the same, and anyway they always slightly change his face from game to game (thanks to the awesome graphics!). As for the white hair, well... it was kind of obvious something would make his hair become white, and indeed, it was his demon powers triggering. This is making me want to dye my hair white... Seriously, I don’t really understand if people whine about that after they played the game. I sincerely hope they at least played it before judging. Learn your subject if you want to argue about it, geez.

Now, my opinion on the opus. I really liked it. First, the music always takes a major place in every single DMC game, and the theme song (Nevery surrender by Combichrist) is awesome. It was so cool to beat the fugly Mundus’ spawn with some techno in the background, it felt even more satisfying to see that fucker die.

I also really liked how they explained Dante’s childhood and origins, as I mentioned before, like the scene in the playground with the graffiti illustrating Vergil’s words or the images shown when Dante explained his life to Kat. I thought it was a bit sexism that he manages to sleep with all the women he wants, but then again, he’s not even human. 

Vergil is really nice too in the game. We don’t see him that much in the game, and I felt like he wasn’t as much exploited, if I can say, as I'd wanted to, but luckily they’re making a DLC with him. I think they could have developed a bit more his and Dante’s relationship, because I thought it was awkward until the end, especially when Vergil said they had to depend on each other and Dante said yes because they were brother. That was really shitty to say, Dante knew he even had a brother only a few days ago and he's not someone who easily trust a person.  I don’t know, they looked like two strangers more than anything else to me, there wasn't any brotherly bond. Vergil’s personality is too mysterious and cold and hardly ''friendly'', and Dante is no fool, he should have seen it coming when Vergil killed Lilith without saying anything. Dante didn’t even ask for any explanation! I can understand Vergil isn't that much talkative, but Kat didn't know his real intentions until the end, and he was like ''Thanks for the help, but I'm going to enslave humanity now, you included, so bye.'' But I found him a lot more good-looking than Dante, for some odd reason, maybe because of the hairstyle, or the mysteriousness? Dante is a bit too macho for my taste.

I also should discuss about Kat. Her apparition is what made Dante change, and she seems to be a love interest throughout the game, as Dante wants to rescue her at any cost when she gets abducted. It's the first time he seems to ever care for anyone other than himself. Vergil made a big mistake by allowing him to be with each other, and maybe if they'd have let her die without trying to rescue her, he would have succeeded to convince Dante to rule with him. The concept of psychic in Limbo is also really interesting, how come some humans are able to see Limbo and not others? We don't get to know a lot about Kat's past, except that she was physically abused by his demon foster father and preferred to go in Limbo to escape from him, and that Vergil rescued her at some point to exploit her powers. We'll probably see her in an upcoming opus (I hope we will, I really like her).

Gameplay wise, the controls were really easy to learn and use, I commonly had ''A'' or ''S'' combos because I could easily change from an angelic to a demonic weapon and use the multiple combos like I wanted. The thing with me when I play hack and slash games is that I tend to finish a combat while almost standing on my couch. I get so cranked up sometimes I get cramps in my legs. I seriously can't count how many swears I said per minute while beating Mundus' spawn, but it was a lot. The only negative point I have is when using Kablooey, the last gun received in the game. I couldn't make my darts explose because it was as if I wasn't pressing space and Dante'd keep shooting darts over and over again. I don't know if I was doing something wrong, but it was a bit frustrating, I really wanted to do some booms.

I can't wait for the DLC to be released, maybe I'll do an update on this review to say if I liked it or not (I'll probably love it since it's about Vergil). 


S

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire