jeudi 24 janvier 2013

Resident Evil 6 Review (Spoilers ahead)

Helena is not there, but a zombie is hahahaha

I normally play on PC most my games, but since I'm at my parents' for a bit and my dad has a PS3, we decided to rent Resident Evil 6, because my brother and I knew we could complete it really fast - and that, we did. So, if you didn't know already, the game is divided in four campaigns with two protagonists per campaign: Leon and Helena (a new character), Chris and Piers (another new character), Sherry and Jake (still another new character and Wesker's son) and Ada with an unknown Agent if you play in split mode like we did (I played him and it fucking sucked because I couldn't do any action and I always had to wait for my bro).





So first, Leon and Helena. The gameplay looked a lot like RE4, with the "normal" zombies and the atmosphere in general (but Helena is more useful and a bit less stupid than Ashley). I loved the fact that there's a secret laboratory with catacombs under the church, it seems every churches have one in Resident Evil. That boss was really ugly by the way, with its big warty and wet body, and that bitch is called a Lepotitsa. Based on the wikia page, Lepotica is used to design feminine beauty in Serbo-Croatian. Ha.
Leon is also the smarter one along every other characters in my opinion, more than Chris anyway, and I like how he's always so calm except when it comes to Ada Wong. His relationship with her is more showed in the game (and you can see a bit of it in the second CGI movie Resident Evil: Damnation, which was released around the same time as RE6 and the stupid Resident Evil: Retribution where Leon is a douche bag with oily hair), and you can tell he loves her, but in a complex way since Ada is supposed to be the bad girl, when in fact she helps all of them while doing her own mission. The end is funny, because he doesn't understand why she helps him to gain back his innocence, and she's like "You're so cute when you're confused". I also want to mention he didn't change his hairstyle for 15 years.

So maybe he changed the side of his bangs...

In the second campaign, we have Chris and Piers. Chris is all gloomy and has blackouts during their mission because all his men died six months before. He didn't even stopped working when he thought Jill had died, and he wasn't drinking his sorrow, so that felt strange to me. I played Piers this time, and I really liked his guns, especially the sniper one. It's really powerful and you have it from the start. Otherwise, this campaign hadn't any Resident Evil feelings to me. It felt more like a Third Person Shooter with no puzzle in which you only had to kill, kill, kill. The only puzzle was in the boat where you have to get the keys, and it takes two minutes because you have markers in your screen. I mean, really, is this the future of the RE serie, without any horror? Many people disliked the fifth one because it was nothing but a shooter, but luckily there was a few puzzles if I recall correctly (and Wesker was there too). The ending was kind of cute though, with Piers injecting himself the C-Virus and sending Chris away. His electricity power was really nice too, but I wish I could have given my ammo to my brother, and so much got wasted away (For the whole campaign I only had two sniper bullets on me until we reached the ending boss and I stole every ammo possible... I shouldn't have done that).

The third campaign is with Sherry and Jake, and I found Jake really interesting. He reminded me a lot of Dante, from the Devil May Cry serie, with his cockiness and his moto (and the unlockable costume in Mercenaries). We don't know a lot about him, except that he's a mercenary and he ignores who's his father. The game doesn't give much details about his past life, but it seems like he'll be the new main character, we can see him in a cutscene after the four campaigns are done (and he's going to kill demon-looking mutants, just like Dante). Other than that, Sherry and Jake are abducted for six months and you don't get a single clue why! I know Jake is immune to the C-Virus because of Wesker, but why Sherry? Will they do something else with the G-Virus? ... With every game a new virus is created from nowhere, it's getting quite confusing. Beside that, I didn't get why Jake suddenly decided to escape after six months. Did he just randomly decide to kill the guards out of boredom, or what? Why didn't he do it sooner if he could have? And Sherry and him don't even discuss of it after all, beside the light chit chat. I'm pretty sure they both went through hell, but I guess it wasn't that much important when they reunited, eh? I mean, really? Add some realism, please.

The last campaign, and my favorite with Leon's one, is focused on Ada, and with this campaign you get all the missing puzzle pieces. Throughout the game, Ada was a bit everywhere, but while playing Chris, we suddenly realized she had two outfits, and she seemed to be at two places at the same time (especially when she's supposed to be dead in Leon's campaign but then appears to help them kill Simmons). Ada goes to help Leon killing Helena's sister and comes accross an old VHS tape with "Happy Birthday Ada Wong!" on it, and I was like "yes, maybe she'll put some sense into this mess", and it appears she has an evil cloned twin! If you didn't already understand how or why Simmons cloned Ada, read this. You have to be a real RE geek and read every notes possible to be able to understand everything in this game, it's kind of crazy. This campaign reminded me of the first Resident Evils, with the puzzles to get all the parts of an emblem to open the door. The puzzle with the dead hanged men wasn't easy to figure out at first (or maybe we both suck, but oh well). Like Ada herself said a couple of times, Simmons is twisted. I like how all the campaigns are tied together one way or another, and Ada is the one who helps them all to achieve their mission, even though she doesn't seem to give a fuck about anything in the matter, except for the I'll-destroy-the-world-and-they'll-blame-you part.

I have two major complaints about Resident Evil 6. First, as I stated before, give some details, goddamnit! So much questions aren't answered in the game, and you have to search by yourself on the internet or read every single note of the previous games, and I'm not the kind of gamer who will complete a game at 100% only to be able to read Simmon's diary. I was really confused as why Sherry was an agent and had to look up on the wikia to remember she was under Simmons' protection and had become an agent because of him. Through the whole game, I felt like we were only getting a part of the whole story, and even though Ada's campaign filled up a bit of the holes, it wasn't near enough for my taste.

Second complaint is about the gameplay. When I think of a Resident Evil game, I think of a freaking horror game with traps and puzzles and Jill Sandwich, I don't think of a Third Person zombie version of Call of Duty. I don't say RE6 was only this, but Chris' campaign and RE5 was fucking near it. I don't know where they're going with this kind of gameplay, but I know they already lost a lot of fans because of that, and personally, I wouldn't play if it wasn't for the characters. The only thing I noticed they kept is the freaking camera angles that make you want to throw the controller at the screen because you can't see where you're running. Yes, I'm talking of Haos' battle in Chris and Piers' campaign (and of course the chrysalid had to hatch when they were there).

The thing with this serie is that they try to change the plot in each game, but they always end following the same pattern one way or another to not fall out the universe (but changing completely the gameplay at the same time).

If the next game is about Jake as the main character, I say I'm in. I wonder if we'll know anything about his past and why he didn't know Wesker was his father. Maybe they used his DNA to create him without Wesker's consent (because who needs it anyway in this game), or Wesker abandoned him at birth? I want to know why he has such a huge scar in the face, maybe we'll get to know in a memory while assassinating some people! :D

Yup, that's Leon's special costume

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire